A site about books I love, and hope you will love too.

Friday, August 19, 2011

REVIEW: Cleopatra's Moon by Vicky Alvear Shecter



Cleopatra's Moon- Vicky Alvear Shecter

Young Adult
Hardcover
Arthur A. Levine Books
368 Pages




Summary from Amazon:

Selene has grown up in a palace on the Nile with her parents, Cleopatra & Mark Antony--the most brilliant, powerful rulers on earth. But the jealous Roman Emperor Octavianus wants Egypt for himself, & when war finally comes, Selene faces the loss of all she's ever loved. Forced to build a new life in Octavianus's household in Rome, she finds herself torn between two young men and two possible destinies--until she reaches out to claim her own.

This stunning novel brings to life the personalities & passions of one of the greatest dramas in history, & offers a wonderful new heroine in Selene.


Review:

I used to be really into historical fiction when I was younger, but it kind of fell by the wayside once I got into fantasy and such. But this book reminds me of why I loved that genre so much. Cleopatra's Moon is the kind of book that flies by too quickly. It is told over the span of Cleopatra Selene's childhood, only showing the big events from each year of her life. This not only makes the pace of the book speed by, it also keeps you interested from page one to page 368.

There is a list in the beginning of the book of character's and their relations--I don't recommend reading it until after. Yes, there are a lot of characters, but the way that they're introduced makes it easy to understand who everyone is and how they're related to each other. When I tried to read the list before the book it was a bit overwhelming trying to remember who everyone was without the story to cement it, but it was cool to look back and have it laid out in such an organized way.

I loved Selene and her drive to not only hold on to her honor in the house of her enemy, but also to regain her kingdom. She was a strong character and her choices and actions rang true throughout the book. I found myself properly horrified over the events they'd been through, from their parents deaths to the Roman abuses, and the things they heard when the Romans overtook their home in Egypt. The book seems to be historically accurate while still spinning an original and wonderful story.

The other thing I loved was the backstory in the back of the book. Vicky pulls out the fact and tells the reader what is known and what she put her own spin on.

The summary also mentions having to decide between two boys--for those of you getting sick of love triangles, rest assured that it's not even that prominent a part of the story. There is never an actual romance between one of the boys, more of an unspoken arrangement. The story mostly focuses on Selene's determination, the love she has for her family, and the strength she find within herself to both be strong but also be her own person. The romance is just an added bonus.

So all in all, I really enjoyed this book. It's definitely the type that leaves you wanting more.

5 comments:

  1. I loved this book!! It is my favorite book, and it probably always will be. I was so sad when it ended and doubt I will ever get over it. Everyone should read this!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! :-)